La presentazione è in caricamento. Aspetta per favore

La presentazione è in caricamento. Aspetta per favore

Corso di finanza e mercati finanziari internazionali I rischi finanziari Prof. Vittorio de Pedys, ESCP Europe, Unito.

Presentazioni simili


Presentazione sul tema: "Corso di finanza e mercati finanziari internazionali I rischi finanziari Prof. Vittorio de Pedys, ESCP Europe, Unito."— Transcript della presentazione:

1 Corso di finanza e mercati finanziari internazionali I rischi finanziari Prof. Vittorio de Pedys, ESCP Europe, Unito

2 Il rischio (1/2) σi => Rischio Rappresenta la possibilità di realizzare un rendimento diverso da quello atteso. Misura del grado di dispersione della distribuzione di una variabile casuale (il rendimento in questo caso) dal suo valore atteso.

3 VOLATILITA’ DEI RENDIMENTI = variabilità nel tempo Si calcola come SCARTO QUADRATICO MEDIO = rendimenti singolo periodo = rendimento medio atteso Il rischio (2/2) i

4 La figura dimostra che con la diversificazione si può ridurre (fino ad annullarlo) il rischio specifico, ma non quello sistematico Rischio specifico e rischio sistematico

5 Rischio di Mercato Vs. rischio specifico Il rischio specifico deve essere riflesso nei flussi di cassa previsionali, non nel rasso di sconto Rischio totale Riguarda tutte le aziende e non può essere ridotto dalla diversificazione – L’inflazione cresce inaspettatamente – Instabilità politica, guerre… – Federal Reserve alza I tassi di interesse – Il ciclo economico o industriale cambia Riguarda una particolare azienda e può essere ridotto dalla diversificazione – un competitor brevetta una nuova tecnologia – I sindacati vanno in sciopero in uno stabilimento produttivo – Un forte competitor entra nel settore Il rischio di mercato deve essere riflesso nel flussi di cassa e nel costo del capitale. Non può essere diversificato e gli investitori vogliono essere compensati per supportarlo Rischio sistematico (rischio di mercato) Rischio specifico (unico, residuo, diversificabile)

6 Diversificando il portafoglio su diversi businesses, gli investitori possono eliminare il rischio specifico associato a ciascun singolo investimento. Il riscio di Mercato non può essere eliminato. Risk Specific Variability Variance Market Risk Number of Securities Rischio e rendimento

7 7 USING STANDARD DEVIATION OF HISTORIC RETURNS TO MEASURE RISK YearHolding Period Return 1 10% R A = 8% 2 30% 3 -20% 4 0% 5 20% s 2 = [(10-8) 2 +(30-8) 2 +(-20-8) 2 +(0-8) 2 +(20- 8) 2 ]/5 = [ ]/5 = [1480]/5 = 296 EXAMPLE Paolo is evaluating the possibility to invest in stocks from company X. He made a list of the return of such security from the last five years. What is the risk associated with this security? Variance  = 17,2 Standard deviation

8 Expected return of stock i Measures central tendency of a variable casuale (i.e the return ), express its mean and it is the sum of the multiplication of the possible values of the variable times its respective probabilities Building portfolios : definitions Risk (standard deviation ) of stock i Measures the level of dispersion of the distribution of a causal variable(i.e. the return) from its expected valure. It is the possibility of realizing a return different from the expected one Correlation between stocks i and j Measures the relationship between two casual variables E(Ri)σiσij

9 9 The standard measures for risk are variance and standard deviation The average of squared deviations around the mean: Variance (σ 2 or VAR) ConceptsDescriptions Square root of variance Volatility is measured by standard deviation of annual returns Standard deviation ( σ) To evaluate risk, one has to quantify it However, there is no perfect way of measuring risk In finance, the most commonly used method includes: where R 1 is the actual return and is the expected return and N is the number of observations Usually you use N-1 when there are observations from a sample (and not actual population, in which case N is used) Deviations are squared and then square-rooted in order to prevent them from cross cancelling as a result of having both positive and negative numbers

10 10 Historical share performance shows that returns tend to distribute around an average Plotting the return of large US companies of each year from 1926 to 2002, it can be observed that returns tend to be distributed around an average %-50%-40%-30%-20%-10%0%10%20%30%40%50%60%70% 80% A similar frequency distribution is also observed in small company shares

11 La costruzione dei portafogli possibili Distribuzione normale Probabilità = 2.5% Valore atteso Ampiezza2σ 95% Probabilità Probabilità = 2.5%

12 Se il campione è sufficientemente popolato, gli eventi ( ad es. i rendimenti) si distribuiranno normalmente If we were to keep on generating observations for a long time period, the aberrations in the sample would disappear, and the actual historical distribution would start to look like the underlying theoretical (normal or Gaussian) distribution Normal distribution looks like a bell-shaped curve The probability to be between the mean plus or minus 1 standard deviation The probability to be between the mean plus or minus 2 standard deviations The probability to be between the mean plus or minus 3 standard deviations 12

13 How you do it : estimate expected return, risk and correlation (covariance ) for all considered stocks with : E(R i ) => expected return of stock i σ i => Risk (standard deviation ) of stock i σ iJ => correlation between stocks i and j x i => vector of weights creation of possible portfolios combinind various stocks Determination of of expected return and risk of each portfolio and in particular : E(R P ) = Σ i x i E(R i ) => expected return of portfolio σ P = Σ i Σ J x i x J σ iJ => Risk of portfolio Building possible portfolios

14 RISK

15 RISKS ARISING FROM FINANCIAL INSTRUMENTS

16 BEWARE BLACK SWANS ! real life distribuion have fatter tails to think that risk factors follow a a normal distribution UNDERVALUES extreme market movements real life distribuion have fatter tails


Scaricare ppt "Corso di finanza e mercati finanziari internazionali I rischi finanziari Prof. Vittorio de Pedys, ESCP Europe, Unito."

Presentazioni simili


Annunci Google